Most water is discharged from the body through the kidney as urine. A large amount of water can be lost every day through sweat, breathing and the digestive tract. In hot weather, during physical exercise and when one suffers from diarrhea or vomiting, the rate of water loss tends to increase. If water is not replaced it may lead to dehydration.
Symptoms of dehydration:
- Little or no urine or, urine that is darker than usual
- Dry mouth
- Sleepiness or fatigue
- Extreme thirst
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Lack of tears when crying
Nutritional advice for preventing dehydration:
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water every day. Of course, the more water your body loses the more water you must consume.
- Eat salads with plenty of vegetables that will provide you with minerals, vitamins and keep you hydrated.
- Eat plenty of fruit. Fruit contains enough water to keep you hydrated.
- Drink fresh juice. Juices provide sufficient amounts of water, as well as vitamins.
- Make delicious smoothies with fruit and water or milk.
- Make the water more tasty by adding fruit or herbs, for example, add a slice of lemon, some mint or fresh berries.
- Keep a bottle of water with you throughout the day. This will remind you to drink more water.
- If you are working out, be sure to drink water before, during and after your workout.
- When you’re feeling hungry, drink water. Thirst is often confused with hunger. True hunger will not be satisfied by drinking water. Drinking water may also contribute to a healthy weight-loss plan. Some research suggests that drinking water can help you feel full. Also, drinking water is the most natural way to help you burn body fat.
- If you have trouble remembering to drink water, drink according to a program. For example, try to have specific hours for drinking water, or set a reminder on your mobile remind for every 1-2 hours.
- Be careful of drinks containing caffeine because caffeine is a diuretic.
- Be careful with sport drinks, energy drinks, soft drinks or drinks containing sugar because they may be high in calories and unhealthy ingredients.